WHAT IS THE READ-A-THON? A read-a-thon challenges students to read as many books as they can during the allotted period of time. It encourages a love of reading while also being a fundraising event. Friends and family pledge a dollar amount for each minute read.
Ways to give:
- Visit the donations page where you can specify the amount you wish to donate and indicate the students or students you are sponsoring for the Read-A-Thon.
- Send cash or check payable to Hazel Wolf K-8 PTSA. Fill out the form found in the president’s letter and mail to: Hazel Wolf PTSA, 11530 12th Ave NE, Seattle, WA 98125.
- Many thanks to our corporate sponsors: Zylbersteins, KJ’s Koffee, Pagliacci’s and Wild Waves. Please support these local businesses who support our school community.
2022 Hazel Wolf Read-A-Thon is happening November 14-26
Watch Dr. V’s welcome message about the Read-A-Thon:
How it works:
- Your student will set a daily “minutes read” goal and ask people to sponsor them by pledging (for their reading goal or a flat donation). Relatives, neighbors, and friends make great sponsors!
Here is the sample letter for you to personalize and send out to family and friends! https://hazelwolfk8ptsa.files.wordpress.com/2022/11/readathonsampleletter2022.docx
- Kids read, read, read (and record minutes) November 14 to 26. Students and classes will be awarded great prizes for participation! Here is the form students will fill out to track their reading: https://hazelwolfk8ptsa.files.wordpress.com/2022/11/readathon-packet-2022-revised.docx
- The 2022 Read-A-Thon starts on Monday, November 14!
- The read-a-thon challenges students to read as many books as they can between November 14th and the 26th. It encourages a love of reading while also being a fundraising event. Friends and family pledge a dollar amount for each minute read. Prizes will be awarded for top readers, top fundraisers and participants, including free pizza, free tickets to Wild Waves, and more. Packets will be sent home on Monday November 14th in KidMail.
- Your student will add up their minutes, collect any outstanding pledge money from the sponsors and bring their pledge sheets and collected money to school (or send via email and online donations). Also, sponsors can make their donations online using our donations page.
- All students who meet their grade’s reading goal will be entered into a raffle for a chance to win prizes (see descriptions below).
- Any sponsorship amount counts — no amount is too small. Sponsorships are encouraged but not required to participate in the raffle.
- Sponsorship Form and Record Sheet received by December 2 will qualify for prizes.
- Top fundraisers win a free hot chocolate provided by KJ’s Koffee.
- Top readers from each class will win a free cookie or bagel from Zylberschtein’s Deli.
- Enter to win a “free slice” card for Pagliacci’s Pizza just for participating
- And more!
- Not a reader yet? That’s OK. Reading or being read to count too. Read to yourself, a parent, a friend, a sibling, a stuffed animal, or a pet. Get everyone in on the fun and get reading!
What we ask of parents:
- Please initial your student’s recorded time each day.
- Encourage your student to read, read, and read (and read to them).
- Any reading counts, including classroom independent daily reading (IDR), listening to audiobooks, and reading
books in any language!
- Remind your kids to track their reading every day! Missed the first day? Don’t worry, it’s OK to start late!
2022 Key Dates:
- November 9 through 15 – Read-A-Thon kick off in the Library with Dr. V
- November 14 – Read-A-Thon packets go home in kidmail
- November 14 – Students start to collect pledges
- November 14 – Students start to count their minutes of reading
- November 26 – Last day of Read-A-Thon
- November 27 – December 2 – Count total minutes read & collect pledges
- December 2 – Turn all funds and paperwork into the Hazel Wolf Library or via email to email@example.com. You can make Read-A-Thon contributions online at: https://hazelwolfk8.ejoinme.org/2022ReadAThon [hazelwolfk8.ejoinme.org]
THANK YOU TO OUR SPONSORS FOR PROVIDING PRIZES FOR THIS YEAR’S READ-A-THON: