PTSAs are strongest when their leaders and members reflect the diversity of their own community. We are a volunteer committee of mostly BIPOC Hazel Wolf parents and family members striving to create an inclusive and equitable educational environment and school community.
We typically meet every other week on Tuesday evenings.
What We Do
The Racial Equity Committee (REC) began working together during the 2018-19 school-year. Here is just an example of some of the work we’ve done:
- Fundraised and purchased diverse books for Hazel Wolf
- Supported Black Lives Matter (BLM) events at Hazel Wolf
- Held student t-shirt design contest and made BLM at Hazel Wolf spirit wear
- Organized a roundtable on racism, where students of color (and some REC members) shared their experiences
- Started communities of practice groups
- Worked in collaboration with Hazel Wolf PTSA to host virtual learning opportunities for students, staff and families
- Implemented virtual cafes and listening sessions to help connect and facilitate conversations between diverse families and school administration
- Supported and worked in collaboration with staff and the student racial equity teams, particularly around building foundations for student affinity groups
Mission & Values
The mission of the parent PTSA Racial Equity Committee (REC) at Hazel Wolf K-8 is to provide a space to listen to, engage with, and connect diverse Hazel Wolf families and community members with the PTSA and to promote equitable opportunities and practices in school and PSTA sponsored activities.
The parent REC is committed to:
- Seeking out the diverse voices of our Hazel Wolf Community
- Advocating for students’ voices and needs
- Supporting an equitable use of PTSA funds
- Building and bridging relationships within our community
- Cultivating open and respectful dialogue around issues of equity
- Influencing PTSA policies and practices to support and represent all Hazel Wolf families
If you are a diverse Hazel Wolf community member interested in joining us please email us at: email@example.com