Registration for Session 5 of Kids U is officially open! The session will run May 6 to June 27. Check out the full lineup on the registration form, available for download here as well as on the Afterschool Programs page.
Spring Ultimate season is starting this month for Elementary and Middle School students. Teams are coed (boys and girls together) and the league is managed by DiscNW and coached by parent volunteers (we need assistant coaches!). We will have weekday practices and games on Saturdays. On Saturday, February 9 from 10 to 11:30 a.m., we will host a mini Jamboree for kids in 3rd-8th grades at the Maple Leaf reservoir park – a parents meeting will begin at 11 a.m.
- Elementary: we anticipate having a 3rd, 4th and 5th grade team if enough kids sign up. One-day-per-week practices begin last week of February and games are Saturdays from March 9 through May 11. The registration deadline is Feb 9, but we will accept registrations after on a space available basis. Download the Elementary registration form »
- Middle School: we anticipate having two teams. Practices on Wednesday will begin last week of February and games are Saturdays from March 9 through May 18. Tryouts (for MS kids only) will be Wednesday, February 27 from 5:00 to 6:30 p.m. and Saturday, March 2, from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. Tryouts will take place at Maple Leaf Park on the upper grass fields. Download the Middle School registration form »
- All kids will need to fill out the form attached to the flyer AND register with DiscNW.
Questions? Contact coaches:
- Middle School: Joe Cater at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 3rd: Kent Koth at email@example.com
- 4th: Malcolm Hooper at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 5th: Kara Dowidar at email@example.com
Session 3 for Kid’s U is officially open! The session will run January 7 to March 1. The Y is offering some exciting new classes exclusively for our 6th-8th graders (Mountaineers and Chess), as well as a chess club for K-5 (from Orangutan Chess Academy). Also, don’t miss Art Wizards, offered on Tuesdays with our very own 4th grade teacher Mrs. Holland!
The latest session (Session 2) started this past Monday (October 29) and goes through December 21, and there are still openings in most classes. While online registration is closed, you can definitely still sign up! For the latest info on the Y’s afterschool offerings and how to register, visit the Afterschool Programs page on the PTSA website at https://hazelwolfk8.org/afterschool-programs/.
Next Friday, October 12 is an in-service day and there is no school. If you’re looking for activities and/or care for your child(ren) that day, we’re fortunate to have the YMCA afterschool program on site, which will be offering programming from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. in the Hazel Wolf Cafetorium!
To register online, follow this link: https://apm.activecommunities.com/seattleymca/ActiveNet_Home?FileName=onlineDCProgramDetail.sdi&dcprogram_id=6852&online=true
When you register, it may give you a “schedule conflict” error, but just press “ignore conflict” at the bottom of your screen to override it.
The YMCA will have the rest of their no-school-day offerings up and open soon. For more information or to register by email or phone, contact Miranda at 206.524.1400 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information about this opportunity went home via Kidmail last week. You can also sign up online at https://apm.activecommunities.com/seattleymca/Activity_Search?txtActivitySearch=211535&applyFiltersDefaultValue=true&cat=Activities or contact Veronica at email@example.com.
Art Wizards – Tuesdays from 3:35-4:45, $165, 9/11 to 10/23
In Art Wizards, kids learn to draw the things that kids find exciting. The most important part of learning to draw is learning to see. Many adults never developed that skill. Most teens, too. And all elementary students regardless of age need these skills. That’s where we start. We give them all the information they need to be successful, but not so much that we stifle their imagination or limit their opportunities. They learn that a problem can have more than one solution, that small changes can have a big effect, and that there is more than one way to look at the world around them. With consistent and ongoing practice throughout the school year, our students are amazed at the progress they make. Projects include fish, birds and animals of all kinds, people, landscapes, still life, mythical creatures, movie characters and cartoons. We show them how to break down a scene or character so it comes out looking like what they intended. We show them how easy it can be when they know how to use chalk and oil pastels, when it’s better to use colored pencils and where markers and watercolor fit in. It’s easy! It’s exciting! It’s rewarding! And it has a super-positive effect on all other subjects.
For new and returning families thinking about childcare for next year, we’ve created an Afterschool Programs page on this website with detailed information about Kids University, the onsite afterschool program provided by University YMCA. We’ll post updated Kids U information on that page, as well as information about other afterschool opportunities that come up during the school year.
Session dates for next year:
- Session 1: September 5 – October 26
- Session 2: October 29 – December 21
- Session 3: January 7 – March 1
- Session 4: March 4 – May 3
- Session 5: May 6 – June 20
Register for fall:
Plan ahead and register for fall Session 1 now! Families can register online, return the paper registration form to firstname.lastname@example.org, or deliver the form in person to the University Family YMCA. For more information, download the registration form, and you can also visit the Afterschool Programs page.