Anti-Asian, Asian American, and Pacific Islander xenophobic harassment are on the rise across the U.S. Unfortunately, anti-Asian and Asian American racism and xenophobia are not new phenomena. It has been part of our histories for a long time. As the coronavirus pandemic continues, we have seen more harassment, discrimination, and even violence directed at these communities. Even before the horrific shooting in Atlanta, Anti-Asian and Asian American hate crimes have been on the rise including our own neighborhood of Pinehurst. The Hazel Wolf Parent Racial Equity Committee (REC) and the greater Hazel Wolf Parent, Student, Teacher Association (PTSA) stand in solidarity with our Asian American Pacific Islander (AAPI) community to condemn harassment, racism and xenophobia.
The “Model Minority” myth and a shared value in many Asian cultures of respecting elders and authority have lead to many Asian and Asian Americans to not rock the boat and speak out about racist acts they have faced. Our Hazel Wolf community supports our AAPI families and we want our AAPI community to be seen, heard, and valued.
Our Hazel Wolf family groups will host a listening session for the Asian American and Pacific Islander families on the evening of Thursday April 22nd. Zoom (Coming soon!)
Here are some resources (we know there are many more!!) and things you can do to support:
- How to Combat Anti-Asian American Violence
- This is What No One Tells You About Being Asian in America in 2021
- Addressing Anti-Asian Bias
- Bystander intervention, de-escalation, and responding to harassment trainings from Asian Americans Advancing Justice and Hollaback! These are free!
- Asian Americans: Facing Hate, Fighting for Justice, and Shaping America event to attend and/or watch at a later date
- Report a Hate Crime
- Books featuring Asian and Asian American main characters
- Talking to Your Kids about Racism
- Miss Katie Addresses Anti-Asian Sentiments (for young kids) (Link)