- Feb 12 (Mon) – Daytime Tour 9:30 – 11:00 am
- Feb 16 (Fri) – Book It Theatre Performance for K-5
- Feb 19-23 – Mid Winter Break – No School
- Feb 28 (Wed) – Game Night 6:00 – 7:30
1. Update on Walk to Math Program – Last week I sent out information in the parent bulletin informing families that the leadership team was currently reviewing this practice as we have seen several pros and cons to it over the last few years. At this point, we have many details to still work out, but the following are a few items we can share:
- The plan is for the 18/19 school year, and may be adjusted as needed after that.
- If your current child is already walking successfully, they will continue to do so
- Kindergarten and at least the first half of 1st grade, if not all of first grade, will not walk up a grade. Instead, each grade level would have 4 equally created math classes which would enable all students to learn how to be a mathematician in school, and learn necessary behaviors and routines.
- The plan would assure that no students would skip an entire grade, but instead have several opportunities to enter into an accelerated pathway where they would condense three years of material into two. An example might be a group of students in 2nd grade completing 2nd grade material and part of 3rd, then in 3rd grade, completing the 3rd grade curriculum as well as the 4th grade.
- Criteria for any acceleration will be raised compared to where it is now
- Fact fluency will become part of the criteria as it’s holding many students back
- There will be several entry points into an accelerated program so a student not ready in 2nd, may still have another opportunity or two to enter at a later time.
As we work on this plan as a staff I will keep you updated and invite you to a forum in the spring to provide your own input.
2. 8th grade baby photos for the yearbook. Now or Never! Please send electronically to email@example.com or bring copy to Ms Palmer and she will return it to you.
Also, 8th graders send in your quotes (song lyric, line from poem, or favorite saying) for the yearbook.
3. Jump Rope for Heart – The jump rope unit is in full swing in all elementary PE classes. In conjunction with the jump rope unit, Hazel Wolf is also partnering with the American Heart Association (AHA) to raise money for research and awareness of heart disease. Jump Rope for Heart fundraising for the AHA continues until February 28th. While online fundraising is the route AHA would prefer, Mrs. Krebs does have fundraising envelopes for students and families that would like to raise money via cash/check. Please let her know if you and your child would like one. This is an optional fundraising event, and is not required. Contact Mrs. Krebs with any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Auction Tickets – Have you bought tickets yet for the most fund parent social event of the YEAR? Don’t forget to book your babysitter!!
The auction is on Friday March 23rd from 5-11. Tickets are currently $40. The early bird pricing ends the second week of February and then tickets will be $50 online and then $75 at the door. Head to the PTSA website for the link to purchase tickets https://hazelwolfk8.org/auction/
5. Auction Procurement – We need AMAZING, fun, COOL stuff, items, experiences to make this auction a fantastic fundraiser!
Do you have Sounder tickets, Mariners, Storm, Seahawks? Enjoy the arts? Tickets to local musicals and theatres are always loved. Team up with other families to host a dinner party or art walk or pub crawl? Do you have access to back of the scenes tours? Always popular, our families love “back of the house” tours of fun places they might not be able to tour without someone in the know. Restaurant gift certificates , hotel stays, timeshare cabins? If you have any questions contact our procurement chair Tabitha Burns email@example.com. If you need more procurement forms they are on the PTSA website https://hazelwolfk8.org/auction/
6. Middle school contact list – Do you have a current middle school student? We are working to develop a middle school parent contact list. Please fill out this quick survey so our middle school parent representatives have the correct information to communicate with you. https://goo.gl/forms/GqnhNzXDmHLgbNpo1
1. Head and Assistant Volleyball Coaches are needed for the spring season starting soon. Practices start at 3:30 on Tuesdays and Thursdays in the Hazel Wolf gym with matches on Saturdays mid-March through June. For more information contact Chrys Hunstiger at firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Open Enrollment for School Choice – Remember SPS Open Enrollment is now through February 16. To enroll a new student in our program (or any program other than your assigned neighborhood school) requires that you turn in an enrollment choice form. The forms are available at https://www.seattleschools.org/cms/One.aspx?portalId=627&pageId=1855434