In honor of Earth Day, Hazel Wolf K-8 will be collecting your used and broken electronics, otherwise known as e-waste. A free pickup (eCycling) event has been arranged with PC Trades on Wednesday, May 17 after school. You may drop off your items in the main office anytime between now and May 17. This is also a fundraiser! PC Trades will determine what items have worth after they pick it all up. So, clean out your garages to dispose of your e-waste properly and possibly make some money for the school in the process!
What items will they pick up?
A long list of items can be found on the PC Trades website, but among those items are:
- Used printer/toner cartridges
- Cell phones
- Basically anything electronic, in any condition!
Why are we doing this?
To highlight the importance of proper disposal of the tons of e-waste that fills our landfills daily, as well as pass on any items that are gently used to those in need, and make a few dollars for the school in the process.
Items that are more likely to have value:
- Macs – any Mac machines and accessories still in working condition
- PC Laptops
- Computers less than 3 years old
- Hard drives less than 3 years old
Just bring in any electronic items you don’t need anymore because you just never know if it will be worth something!
There are multiple benefits of proper eCycling:
- Conserves natural resources. Recycling recovers valuable materials from old electronics that can be used to make new products. As a result, we save energy, reduce pollution, reduce greenhouse gas emissions and save resources by extracting fewer raw materials from the earth.
- Protects your surroundings. Safe recycling of outdated electronics promotes sound management of toxic chemicals such as lead and mercury.
- Helps others. Donating your used electronics benefits your community by passing on ready-to-use or refurbished equipment to those who need it.
- Create jobs. eCycling creates jobs for professional recyclers and refurbishers and creates new markets for the valuable components that are dismantled.
- Saves landfill space. E-waste is a growing waste stream. By recycling these items, landfill space is conserved.